Monday 28 September 2015

Boxing:Lee Selby and Nathan Cleverly ready to fly Wales flag in USA



Welsh wizards Lee Selby and Nathan Cleverly are hoping to follow the rugby union side and make big statements on the world scene.

Selby and Cleverly are both preparing for fights in America in October and know they will make a big impact across the pond if they win - hot on the heels of their compatriots' stunning victory over England at the Rugby World Cup.

Cleverly is from Cefn Fforest and Selby from Barry and while the latter is making the first defence of his IBF world featherweight title against Fernando Montiel (54-4-2-KO39) on October 14, he knows there are bigger and better fights if he comes through it.

Selby (21-1-KO8) says the likes of Gary Russell Jr and Vasyl Lomachenko are already on his radar and is in confident mood.

"First of all I don't think I can win, I know I can win," he told Sky Sports.

"I believe my boxing ability is second to none and on my given day, I can beat any featherweight on the planet.

"He's [Montiel] very experienced, he knows his way round the ring with a 20-year career as a pro but I just believe my boxing ability will show on the night."

Cleverly (29-2-KO15), boxing back at light-heavyweight, had a chance to fight for a world title instead of taking on Andrzej Fonfara (27-3-KO16) in Chicago on October 16.

The 28-year-old could have taken on WBA world champion Juergen Braehmer but has decided to head to America and make sure they know he is back at his favourite weight.

"I took a few days to decide but I chose the Fonfara one," he said.

"I feel it's on the big stage and [if I] win this then I am in the big league.

"Hes not the sort of guy to shy away from a fight, he stands his ground, throws big right hands and has solid shots so hopefully I will bring my best form.

"At times I am going to trade with him, so it is going to be an exciting fight."

No comments: