Friday 20 November 2015

Watford will push for victory against Manchester United,says Odion Ighalo


The in-form striker expects the Red Devils to be a big challenge in Saturday’s early game despite missing Wayne Rooney and Anthony Martial

Odion Ighalo is high on confidence that his side can defeat a depleted Manchester United side in Saturday’s early game at Vicarage Road.

The Nigeria international, 26, has scored seven goals in 12 Premier League appearances so far this season and returns to the Hornets on a high after helping his nation into the third round of World Cup 2018 qualification.

With Louis van Gaal's United blunted in attack due to Anthony Martial's injury and Wayne Rooney's illness and Ighalo is targeting Watford's first win over the Old Trafford side since 1986.

“I’ve been working hard and giving my best, there’s nothing new since I’ve played against Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea,” Ighalo told Goal. “I’m looking forward to the game on Saturday and I just want to go back and relax for a day or two before the game and train.

“Manchester United are a big team, so I’m not going to say I’m a threat. Its teamwork, you know, I cannot play against 11 players alone. My team has been pushing in every game.

“We’re going to push Manchester United and give our best. As a striker I want to score goals and I hope to score on Saturday by God’s grace.

“If I don’t score, if we win the game, that’s the most important thing. I’m looking forward to the game and hopefully we’re going to have a good game."

Coming into the Premier League was down to his impressive partnership with captain Troy Deeney, which earned the Hornets 41 goals in the Championship last season.

“Troy and I have been playing together for almost one and a half years now," Ighalo added. "We played together in the Championship, he scored 21 goals and I scored 20 last season.

“We’ve been working together all through pre-season, so it’s been going well, I’m happy about that. He’s a great striker, he’s a great guy, I like playing with him."

Ighalo is among a slew of Africans doing well in the Premier League this season. He was nominated for the Premier League Player of the Month award in September and has had a great impact shifting from the Championship to the top level of the English game.

“It has not been easy transitioning, it’s been hard work and God’s grace. God has been favouring me and I have been putting hard work into it,” he said. “I really worked hard in pre-season and I think I’m enjoying every bit of it now.

“It’s not easy playing against big teams, you have to always defend and you have to take every little chance that comes your way.

“We’re underdogs in the Premier League so we have to fight to keep the team up.”

No comments: