Thursday 19 November 2015

Richie McCaw announces retirement from rugby


Richie McCaw has announced his retirement from rugby after leading New Zealand to their second successive World Cup triumph.

The 34-year-old openside flanker became the first man to lift the Webb Ellis Cup twice when New Zealand beat Australia 34-17 in the World Cup final last month.

McCaw's decision, which was widely anticipated, came the day after the death of former All Blacks winger Jonah Lomu at the age of 40.

"Today, I thought about whether it was the right thing to do this. But I'm going to be hanging up my boots," McCaw said. "My last game was for the All Blacks in the Rugby World Cup final two weeks ago.

"Deep down I didn't want to shut the door totally. Even if that door was just open a little bit. It didn't feel that final until now.

"Had the World Cup gone the way of us being beaten, I'd have wanted to make sure that went right. I wanted to make it about the team and not the individuals and make sure I've made the right decision.

"I sit here with no regrets as a rugby player. That last game as a rugby player was pretty satisfying."

McCaw became the world's most-capped player earlier this year when he surpassed the record of 141 test appearances held by retired Ireland captain Brian O'Driscoll.

McCaw joins fellow centurions Keven Mealamu (132) and Tony Woodcock (118) in hanging up their boots, while Daniel Carter (112), Ma'a Nonu (103) and Conrad Smith (94) have also ended their New Zealand careers by joining clubs in France.

Since 2004, when the six players became cemented in the side, the All Blacks have won 137 of their 157 tests, losing 18 and drawing two.

Under current coach Steve Hansen, who took over following the 2011 World Cup, they have won 49 of their 54 matches.

McCaw is now looking forward to life away from the game he loves and is planning on throwing himself into some of his other passions.

"I'm hugely excited about the future. A couple of things I have in mind. I learnt to fly helicopters in 2009 and that's going to be my thing from now.

"It's something I'm passionate about."

No comments: