Thursday 22 October 2015

Dart:Richie Burnett apologises after receiving drugs ban


Former BDO world darts champion Richie Burnett has apologised on social media after he was banned for 18 months after testing positive for cocaine.

The 48-year-old Welshman was suspended until May 2 next year after he tested positive during a PDC Grand Slam Qualifier in Wigan on November 3 last year.

Burnett's ban was reduced to 18 months from two years following an appeal due to "the exceptional circumstances of the case" and he took to Twitter after the suspension was announced in an attempt to explain his actions.

He wrote: "I'd like to apologise to fans for my actions last year which have resulted in this ban.

"Those close to me will know the personal challenges I have faced over recent years. Depression is an illness which affects people in different ways and impairs their decision-making.

"So I have been using this time to seek professional help and will continue to do so."

Burnett was removed from the field for the World Championships at Alexandra Palace after failing the test and has not played since due to the ban, but he has vowed to return to the game.

He added: "I'd like to place on record my thanks to my sponsors for sticking by me during these very difficult times.

"I am determined to return to the game next May and to be competitive at the highest level.

"By committing to improving my mental health and well-being as well as my physical health, I am sure I can compete again."

No comments: