Thursday 29 October 2015

Boxing:Gavin McDonnell hopes to face Scott Quigg or Carl Frampton for world title in future


Gavin McDonnell believes he will be ready for a world title shot after 'a few more learning fights.'

The 29-year-old from Doncaster defended his European super-bantamweight title with an impressive unanimous points victory over Jeremy Parodi on October 24 and is growing in confidence under new trainer Dave Coldwell.

With world champions Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton in talks to clash early next year, McDonnell has revealed he may find himself as the support act to two of his future targets.

I've only had 16 fights and I'm European champion, so I don't want to rush my career and I want to be ready for when those big fights come.

In an interview reported on World Boxing News, McDonnell said: "For my next fight, I'm looking to get out again in January or maybe February of 2016 - it definitely won't be before Christmas.

"I've only had 16 fights and I'm European champion, so I don't want to rush my career and I want to be ready for when those big fights come.

"It looks like the fight [Quigg-Frampton] might be announced for February and it would be great to get on the undercard. Hopefully, Matchroom can stick me on and it might get a bit of interest going for a future fight.

"I'm not a million miles away, so if I can come in with another improved performance, people won't see me as too far off."

McDonnell says the Quigg-Frampton fight is difficult to call and, while he concedes their career paths are ahead of his own, believes they will cross at some point down the line.

"I've got my goals and I'm always looking for progression," he added. "Obviously, I'm not calling Quigg and Frampton out at the moment, but after a few more learning fights and climbing the rankings, I will then be ready for my shot.

"It should make for a great fight between the two of them and they both have good power. I always change my mind as to who I think will win. I used to think Frampton, but now - after their last performances - Quigg might be in a better position."

No comments: