Friday 28 August 2015

Golf:Jason Day defies back pain to shine at PGA Tour playoffs



Jason Day has overcome back pain to extend his great run of form with a promising start to the US PGA Tour’s playoffs series.

The Australian shot a two-under-par 68 to be tied 18th, three shots off the lead after the first round of the $A11.5 million tournament in New Jersey.

US PGA Championship winner Day pulled out of the pre-tournament pro-am after tweaking his back but admitted it still troubled him in the first round.

“I think if I had another day’s rest I’d be fine but just coming back today trying to go at it a little hard with the driver definitely hurt,” said Day.

“But once everything started heating up the back kind of loosened up a little bit which was nice.

“I went for an MRI yesterday and structurally I’m a lot fitter and better than I was last year so all the work that I’ve been putting in to the gym has been paying off.”

No comments: