Monday 28 December 2015

Rooney apologises for clumsy, high challenge on Oscar

Rooney apologises for clumsy, high challenge on Oscar
The Manchester United captain has said sorry to Chelsea's Brazilian midfielder after a nasty challenge in the second half of the two side's Premier League game on Monday

Wayne Rooney has apologised for a late challenge on Oscar during Manchester United’s goalless draw with Chelsea.

The England captain connected studs first with the Brazilian’s leg in the second half and was shown a yellow card by Martin Atkinson.

On another occasion, however, Rooney’s recklessness could well have drawn a straight red.

“It was accidental [the foul on Oscar],” he told BT Sport after the game.


“I knew straight away I caught him and could've caused him a bit of damage, so I apologise.

“I apologised on the pitch, nothing was meant and I think the referee saw there was no intention of hurting him.

“He's given me a yellow card which I probably deserve.”

Rooney was restored to the United side after starting on the bench against Stoke City on Boxing Day.

He produced an industrious first half against Chelsea, but was unable to prevent his side’s winless run stretching to eight games.

Louis van Gaal’s side are next in action against Swansea City this weekend.

No comments: