Monday 29 February 2016

Cristiano Ronaldo denies down-grading team-mates.


The Portugal international appeared to criticise his team-mates after Saturday's defeat to Atletico Madrid but insists he was referring to the team's bad run of injuries

Cristiano Ronaldo has moved to clarify his outburst after Real Madrid’s defeat to Atletico Madrid by claiming that he was referring to his team-mates’ fitness levels, rather than their ability.

After Saturday’s loss at the Santiago Bernabeu, Ronaldo appeared to criticise his Madrid team-mates by claiming that they were not performing at the same standard as him.

"If everyone was at my level, we would be first,” said the 31-year-old.

"I do not want to belittle anyone but when they are not the best it is difficult to win. I like to play with Karim, Bale and Marcelo.

"I do not mean that Jese, Lucas [Vazquez] and [Mateo] Kovacic are not good, they are very good, but to win a competition you need the best and that has been our main problem this year.”

Sergio Ramos quickly moved to defend Ronaldo’s comments, and the Portugal international now insists he was bemoaning Madrid’s injuries, rather than their performances on the pitch.

“When I say that I mean the physical level, not the game. I am not better than any of my team-mates,” Ronaldo told Marca.

Defeat to Atletico has left Madrid nine points behind La Liga leaders Barcelona, who could stretch that advantage to 12 with a win over Sevilla on Sunday.

No comments: