Wednesday 13 January 2016

Tennis:Novak Djokovic says Olympic gold is top priority in 2016

Novak Djokovic is targeting Olympic gold in 2016
Novak Djokovic says winning Olympic gold in Rio is "at the top" of his priorities in 2016.

The world No 1 is preparing for the defence of his Australian Open title in Melbourne at the start of what could be an extraordinary year for the Serbian.

He goes into it in the greatest form of his life, if his brutal 6-2 6-1 victory over Rafael Nadal in the final of the Qatar Open is anything to go by.

He has lost just one of his last 32 matches, and reached the final of every tournament he has entered for over a year.

But 2016 is an Olympic year, and a gold medal is missing from his glittering collection of prizes. He won bronze in Beijing in 2008, and was knocked out by Andy Murray at Wimbledon in the 2012 Games.



"It's definitely right up there at the top of the priorities of this season," Djokovic told the Daily Telegraph. "I have already had the very unique experience of representing my country at the Olympics. I was part of two Games, in Beijing and London. And with the way the last couple of seasons have gone for me, I feel I can do very well in Rio.

"The tennis will be played on a hard court, in the middle of the summer, when the conditions will be quite challenging for everybody in terms of heat and humidity.

"I am going to take a week of preparation. That means going there earlier, and becoming used to those conditions so that I can get the best out of myself. I am already looking forward to the opening ceremony and to being alongside some of the best athletes in the world."

Djokovic is in no doubt who he wants to meet most in Rio.

"I would definitely like to meet Usain Bolt, because I never have," he said.

No comments: