Thursday 28 January 2016

Tennis:Johanna Konta says Angelique Kerber deserved Australian Open win

Germany's Angelique Kerber [left] and Britain's Johanna Konta shake hands
Johanna Konta admitted her lack of experience proved crucial as her extraordinary run at the Australian Open was ended in the semi-finals by Angelique Kerber.

Konta was bidding to become the first female British Grand Slam finalist since Virginia Wade won Wimbledon 39 years ago but German seventh seed Kerber won through 7-5 6-2.

This was the first year Konta had made it into the Australian Open main draw, let alone the semis, as 12 months ago she lost in the first round of qualifying.

Kerber has finished every year since 2012 in the world's top 10, and had played in two Grand Slam semi-finals before her match with Konta.

"She definitely played with that little bit more experience than I did," Konta said. "She's an incredibly tough player. I think she's one of the, if not the most consistent player on the tour and that's no secret.

"She really makes every single ball possible and makes you work for every single point. But I really enjoyed my experience out there. I'm really looking forward to the chance of playing her again soon."

Konta will wake up on Monday next week in the world's top 30, and she is likely to be seeded for the French Open.

Just 12 months ago, having lost in the first round of qualifying, she was the world No 141.

"I don't feel very different," Konta said. "Both times I was looking forward to going home to see my family.

"I go home to see my parents, spend some time in my own bed. That stays the same. It depends what you view as disappointment. I don't live my life and feel my happiness or joy on my wins and losses."

Konta looked nervous early on when she trailed 3-0 and despite stringing together four games in a row, Kerber broke again at 5-5 and served out the first set.

The German was ultimately too consistent, making just 11 unforced errors to Konta's 36, and she ran away with the contest during a convincing second set.

Asked what she was thinking at 3-0 down, Konta said: "Oh my God, please get on the board.

"I played against a better player today who earned her right into a Grand Slam final. That's how I view it. She played a really, really good match and that's why she is the winner and I'm not today."

No comments: