Sunday 19 June 2016

Sergio Perez: Late first stop key for 'incredible' Baku podium


Sergio Perez says a late first pit stop helped him wrap up an "incredible" second podium in three races at the Grand Prix of Europe.

Perez qualified second but started seventh after a gearbox change made after a crash in FP3. The Mexican driver fought back to third through the race, eventually catching and passing Kimi Raikkonen in the closing stages, though the Finnish driver already had a five-second penalty to serve after the race.

"I knew that the podium was possible today, but it was very hard," Perez said. "It was very hard work to get it. We really did an incredible first lap to get around the Williams and the Toro Rosso.

"Then the first stint was really difficult, the first laps, with the graining and just, let's say, not panicking and not stopping when the graining occurred, especially when Kimi and some people behind stopped. We decided to stay longer, until lap 15, and that was one of the keys to my race."

"Obviously pitting early we went onto the one-stop and as soon as I left the pits I was under pressure from Lewis. I had to push straight away and the warm-up with the soft for me was a bit difficult. So, those first laps [after the stop] were really tricky. I had to keep Lewis behind and then I managed to open a gap and was behind Kimi."

Perez said it was "unbelievable" a Safety Car was not required at any point during the weekend on a circuit which had caught out many of the drivers during the weekend.

"I was looking after the tyres and thinking there was going to be a safety car at some point. It is unbelievable it didn't happen. I was looking after my tyres to make sure I made it to the end and I think Kimi was very strong with the pace he had.

"I knew he had a penalty and I got close to him and at the end I saw the opportunity that it was safe enough to go ahead and take it and finish in P3 [on the road]. It is well deserved for the team because they have done an amazing job - all my boys to fix the car from yesterday, so very pleased. It is only the eighth race and we have done two podiums so far. It has been incredible."

No comments: