Sunday 21 August 2016

'I would spend £300m on a player' - Wenger blasts Arsenal's transfer critics


'I would spend £300m on a player' - Wenger blasts Arsenal's transfer critics

 Arsene Wenger declared he would spend £300 million on a single player amid calls for him to splash the cash on Arsenal signings, but went on to say he does not have that sort of money to spend.

The Gunners boss has come under fire for failing to make a significant signing so far this summer, with Granit Xhaka the only major arrival.

Moves for a big-name addition, such as Alexandre Lacazette, to their attack have not come to fruition, with the Gunners' winless start to the new Premier League campaign compounding the fans' frustrations.

However, Wenger has defended himself once again and says he has a responsibility not to spend recklessly, while he lambasted what he views as the media's over-scrutiny of the club's transfer affairs.

"Why do you say I’m reluctant [to spend] " he told reporters after Arsenal's 0-0 draw with Leicester City.

I don’t understand that. If I buy a player for £45m, I have done well, if I listen to you, but spending money in itself is not a quality,.

“I would spend £300m on a player - if I had £300m. We are a club with 600 employees who we need to have a responsible attitude [towards] as well.

“It is surprising that you come out of football games and you don’t speak about football games, you have to speak about money. If we find players who can strengthen our team then we are not reluctant to spend the money.

“They [the fans] are highly influenced by the media. That’s part of the process today but we try to make the right decisions. It is as simple as that. There is a whole team working on strengthening the team and I am not the only one."

A 4-3 home loss to Liverpool followed by a goal-less stalemate against Premier League champions Leicester have left Arsenal languishing 12th in the table.

No comments: